A note for readers. Please take a minute or two to check through this before sending a message.
If you just want to say hi or tell me something, I'd genuinely love to hear from you. I'll do my best to reply, but for various reasons I won't bore you with, it's become increasingly difficult to answer everything, although I do try to read it all.
There's no publisher or secretarial service handling my correspondence, just me. That's why I've put as much "self service" info on this web site as possible. It's mostly in the FAQs and Writers' Stuff, but there's information on every page as well as in my blog.
2. I can't help with any school, college, or university projects. I really don't enjoy having to say no to students, so please don't ask.
3. For legal reasons, I can't look at any ideas or suggestions you have for stories, give individual advice on writing, or look at outlines, manuscripts, or any other work.
4. I can't help you with Mando'a or do translations, either. Sorry.
5. I need to limit interview requests to accredited media. Please route those via the publisher or studio concerned so that their PR people are in the loop.
6. I don't do forums, so please don't be offended when I decline an invitation. I don't do social media, either -- my Twitter account is just automated links generated by my blog. Please don't try to friend me, link me in, or anything else.
Okay, if you've got this far -- send me a message at mail at (put the symbol in here) karentraviss.com. Sorry this isn't a clickable link, but this solves the problem of (a) spam bots, (b) excluding visually impaired readers by using Captcha, and (c) being unable to reply because people mis-type their e-mail addresses on my web form.
Snail mail via publishers usually takes months to get forwarded, sometimes over a year, and for all I know some may never reach me at all. If you need to contact me, it's probably not the most efficient route.